what to do with fw.jar

René A Valencourt
I have found no instructions on what to do with fw.jar.

I have found it in the Squirrel-sql-3.4.0\lib directory.  Do I just replace
it, or is there an install process?

What exactly is the purpose of fw.jar?

Thanks,

René

This message may contain privileged, confidential and/or
trade secret information which is protected by law and is
intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please immediately notify us, and permanently delete all
copies of the message.  Due to the nature of the Internet,
e-mail messages are not secure and may be delayed or
undelivered.  Also, in accordance with CTB company policy,
e-mail messages may be reviewed or retained by CTB
employees in addition to or other than the intended recipient.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept by Postini for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: what to do with fw.jar

René A Valencourt

Hi Rob,

>> The SQuirreL installer places this file along with many other jar files in the lib/ folder.

Yes, it did.

>> You appear to have the latest stable version installed (3.4.0).  Are you looking for information on how to install a snapshot version?

My installation is a Windows 7 desktop.  I received notices (due to my subscription to SQuirreL notifications) that a new fw.jar was available.  This was subsequent to the release of 3.4.0, and the notices mention only the fw.jar file, hence my question.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that all I need to do is replace the fw.jar file in the lib folder, that no further installation is needed than what has already been done.  ?

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

574.658.5208
574.658.8002 (FAX)

Re: what to do with fw.jar

Robert Manning

There have been no further updates to the stable version (3.4.0).  What is the update URL that you are using ?

Rob

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM, René A Valencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rob,

>> The SQuirreL installer places this file along with many other jar files in the lib/ folder.

Yes, it did.

>> You appear to have the latest stable version installed (3.4.0).  Are you looking for information on how to install a snapshot version?

My installation is a Windows 7 desktop.  I received notices (due to my subscription to SQuirreL notifications) that a new fw.jar was available.  This was subsequent to the release of 3.4.0, and the notices mention only the fw.jar file, hence my question.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that all I need to do is replace the fw.jar file in the lib folder, that no further installation is needed than what has already been done.  ?

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

Re: what to do with fw.jar

Robert Manning
Well, that is confusing, isn't it?  I think you may have asked (knowingly or unknowingly) to receive notifications when there were updates to the SQuirreL project, via the SourceForge page.  Maybe it was "Watch this project" or something like that.  In any case, I think these notifications were triggered by our automatic nightly snapshot upload - the dates correspond with commits to the source code.  So, you can ignore these notifications.  They do not apply to the version you have installed.

Rob

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM, René A Valencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob,

I received notices February 11, 12, 18, and 20.  Upon cursory perusal, it appears that the archives may be identical aside from the pom.properties file; however, at least that file is different in each one.

The links appear to be straightforward.

I have attached the emails for you to examine.  By the way, I get these notices in pairs, sent out simultaneously to the same email address…

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

There have been no further updates to the stable version (3.4.0).  What is the update URL that you are using ?

Rob

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM, René A Valencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rob,

>> The SQuirreL installer places this file along with many other jar files in the lib/ folder.

Yes, it did.

>> You appear to have the latest stable version installed (3.4.0).  Are you looking for information on how to install a snapshot version?

My installation is a Windows 7 desktop.  I received notices (due to my subscription to SQuirreL notifications) that a new fw.jar was available.  This was subsequent to the release of 3.4.0, and the notices mention only the fw.jar file, hence my question.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that all I need to do is replace the fw.jar file in the lib folder, that no further installation is needed than what has already been done.  ?

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

Re: what to do with fw.jar

René A Valencourt

>> I think you may have asked (knowingly or unknowingly) to receive notifications…

I did request “Update Notifications”, thinking that would let me know when SQuirreL were updated to a new level.  I didn’t realize that I would get notices for trivial events.  I’ve unsubscribed.

In the meantime, it’s still puzzling why I get the notices in pairs.  The last email from you came twice at the same time again.

Thanks!

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

574.658.5208
574.658.8002 (FAX)

There have been no further updates to the stable version (3.4.0).  What is the update URL that you are using ?

Rob

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM, René A Valencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Rob,

>> The SQuirreL installer places this file along with many other jar files in the lib/ folder.

Yes, it did.

>> You appear to have the latest stable version installed (3.4.0).  Are you looking for information on how to install a snapshot version?

My installation is a Windows 7 desktop.  I received notices (due to my subscription to SQuirreL notifications) that a new fw.jar was available.  This was subsequent to the release of 3.4.0, and the notices mention only the fw.jar file, hence my question.

If I understand you correctly, you’re saying that all I need to do is replace the fw.jar file in the lib folder, that no further installation is needed than what has already been done.  ?

René A Valencourt, CCP, MCTS
IS Dept.
CTB, Inc.
A Berkshire Hathaway Company

Re: what to do with fw.jar

John Hardin
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, René A Valencourt wrote:

>>> I think you may have asked (knowingly or unknowingly) to receive
> notifications?
>
> I did request ?Update Notifications?, thinking that would let me know when
> SQuirreL were updated to a new level.  I didn?t realize that I would get
> notices for trivial events.

That's "notifications of updates to the revision control repository",
which will occur more often than official releases.

> In the meantime, it?s still puzzling why I get the notices in pairs.  The
> last email from you came twice at the same time again.

That happens a lot on mailing lists: reply to list plus reply to original
sender:

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]

Re: what to do with fw.jar

René A Valencourt
Hello John,

>> That happens a lot on mailing lists: reply to list plus reply to original
sender:

Yes, thanks, I see how that can happen when responding to an email from
someone on the list, who also had sent his email to the list... such as I am
doing right now.  You will probably get two of my reply, so in the future I
will consider whether I want to include the original sender as an explicit
addressee.

However, that doesn’t explain the dual notices that I was getting from
SourceForge when the Project got updated...  Since I've unsubscribed from
SQuirreL notices, it's now a moot point for me.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]
  key: 0xB8732E79 -- 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
   Political Correctness is a doctrine which is based on the premise
   that it is possible, through nothing more than a suitable choice
   of words, to pick up a turd by the clean end.
  15 days until Albert Einstein's 134th Birthday