Quantcast

squirell sql on resolution 3200x1800

Tomáš Debnár
Hello,

I am having problem to run squirrel sql on my Dell XPS13 with 3200x1800 resolution. Whole UI is small and I could not find any tool or option to double its size.
Is it possible to run squirrel in this resolution size?

--

Tomas Debnar

Re: squirell sql on resolution 3200x1800

Wesley Newswanger

Hello Tomas,

I had the same frustrating experience when I first got my 4k monitor.

Here is what you need to do. I did test and confirm that this works with Squirrel SQL.

Download and install the free Resource Hacker program from here: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Start Resource Hacker and open the java.exe file. Mine was located at ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin’

In the left pane of Resource Hacker expand the Manifest node and select 1:0

Find the section that looks like this:

  <asmv3:application>

    <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">

       <dpiAware>true</dpiAware>

    </asmv3:windowsSettings>

  </asmv3:application>

Change the line <dpiAware>true</dpiAware> to <dpiAware>false</dpiAware>

Select Action > Modify or F5 to compile the changes.

Save the java.exe file. If windows security does not allow you to save it in the programs folder, save it to your desktop and then move it to the original folder, overwriting the existing jave.exe file.

Repeat the process on the javaw.exe file in the same folder.

Open Squirrel SQL and it should now display correctly. If it doesn’t, go back and verify that the dpiAware setting was for sure changed to false. I had a couple times when the change was not applied.

This process also works for other programs that display very small. For more information on this procedure see the link below.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-fix-apps-that-look-small-on-high-dpi-and-high-resolution-displays/

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Wesley S. Newswanger    IT & Database Administrator

Keystone Collections

Re: squirell sql on resolution 3200x1800

Tomáš Debnár
Thanks, but I am having this problem on ubuntu 16.04 lts. I did also try to search trough sources and look up for dpi or dpiAware, but did not find anything useful.

This is the only section, where dpi is mentioned, but I do not have any clue how to use it or if it can be used.

case IColumnIndexes.IDX_REQUIRED:
{
// Use valueof when min supported JDK is 1.4
//return Boolean.valueOf(_props[row].required);
DriverPropertyInfo dpi = sdp.getDriverPropertyInfo();
if (dpi != null)
{
return Boolean.valueOf(dpi.required);
}
return Boolean.FALSE;
}

case IColumnIndexes.IDX_DESCRIPTION:
{
DriverPropertyInfo dpi = sdp.getDriverPropertyInfo();
if (dpi != null)
{
return dpi.description;
}
return s_stringMgr.getString("DriverPropertiesTableModel.unknown");
}

--

Tomáš D.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Wesley Newswanger <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sorry I couldn’t help you out. Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Here is something I found but it didn't make any difference on my Win10 machine.

The solution for applications that do not display correct on 4K screens is to tell the jvm it must NOT run dpi aware. This is done by providing a jvm parameter in the startup script of the java application

-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false