"java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
Hi all

I'm trying to print the results of a query.
Whatever the number of rows in the results, my printer prints only one single blank page.

I tried both:

1. right-click on results and click on print, without first selecting
2. select all and then click on print

None of them work.

What is surprising is that in another test query I managed to print (without selecting first).
I wonder why the printing behaviour changes depending on the query...

Any idea what might be the problem?

I'm using squirrel-sql-snapshot-20160126_2241 on Fedora 23.

Thanks in advance
Federico

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
Can anyone confirm if the printing feature is working for them?
Do you know how can I debug this problem?

I looked for some verbose/debug options here, but could not find any:

sh squirrel-sql.sh --help

Hi all

I'm trying to print the results of a query.
Whatever the number of rows in the results, my printer prints only one single blank page.

I tried both:

1. right-click on results and click on print, without first selecting
2. select all and then click on print

None of them work.

What is surprising is that in another test query I managed to print (without selecting first).
I wonder why the printing behaviour changes depending on the query...

Any idea what might be the problem?

I'm using squirrel-sql-snapshot-20160126_2241 on Fedora 23.

Thanks in advance
Federico

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Wesley Newswanger

I am able to print the multipage results of my query. I just tested it using PDF Creator. If I select them first it prints them with the selection highlight.

Best Regards,

Wesley S. Newswanger    IT & Database Administrator

Keystone Collections

Martin's Wood Products, LLC
650 Houtztown Road
Myerstown, PA 17067-2196

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
I am able to print the multipage results of my query. I just tested it using PDF Creator. If I select them first it prints them with the selection highlight.

So you did not print to paper, you printed to file.
But even if I print to file (PostScript), I get a blank file anyway.

I read the guide, which says:

Any data that is displayed in a Table may be printed. This includes all of the meta-data tables displayed in the Object View as well as the Contents Tab and SQL Results tables. To print, first make sure that the Session Properties for the type of information (Meta Data, Table Contents, or SQL Results) has been set to either "Table" or "Editable Table". Then, with the cursor over the table to be printed, click on the right mouse button and click on "Print". This will bring up a dialog box in which you can adjust the parameters of the print job. When you tell the dialog to print, the selected table will be printed.

So in session properties I changed SQL results from Table to Editable table.
I closed and restarted SquirrelSQL and now I'm able to print.

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
Yes, I guessed this.

As I wrote below, what worked for me was changing from Table to Editable table the output section for SQL results. Even if the guide says that it should work either way (Table or Editable table). Don't know if this is a doc bug or just me doing something wrong.

Printing to PDF Creator is the same as printing to a printer. I also tested printing to my HP printer and it works just as well.

Best Regards,

Wesley S. Newswanger    IT & Database Administrator

Keystone Collections

Martin's Wood Products, LLC
650 Houtztown Road
Myerstown, PA 17067-2196

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
It seems that this is a random bug.
Now it's not working even when SQL results are set to Editable table.

I have no clue about how to debug this. I'll open a new issue in the tracker hoping to get some feedback from developers.

https://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/feature-requests/534/

Re: "java printing" prints a blank page

Federico Bruni
I'm trying again to solve this issue.

I've realized that - at least now - setting the SQL results to editable table doesn't work anymore. I remember that, if set, clicking on a table in the SQL results allowed to change the content (a text cursor appeared). This is no more the case.
This might be related to the printing problem?

[...]

It turned out to be simply a problem of columns widths.
My bad that I didn't think of it, but Squirrel might have been more verbose about this problem.
I've added my thoughts here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/feature-requests/534/#4445

What developers think about it?
Probably a print preview would avoid a new user to have the same problem I had?
 (e.g. in Libreoffice the print preview is a key feature)

Thanks
Federico