joining in

jk jk-2
I'm interested in helping out with some of those bugs listed in the
tracker.  Any suggestions and/or intro advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. --jk

Re: joining in

Robert Manning
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM, jk jk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm interested in helping out with some of those bugs listed in the
> tracker.  Any suggestions and/or intro advice would be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance. --jk

Hello,

Your contribution would certainly be welcomed.  Here are a few suggestions:

1. Setup a development environment where you have the source code and
you can run a version of SQuirreL that you have built from source.  Change the
version number or something else to verify.

2. Reproduce the bug using whatever details are provided in the
tracker.  If you
cannot reproduce, try to solicit more information from the poster.  If
anonymously
posted, record what you tried and move on - there are plenty of others
to look at.
You might also ask the poster to provide their log after they
reproduce the problem
for more clues.

3. You should try to use the same database (and same version, same
configuration, etc.)
if it is reported in the tracker.  While this doesn't guarantee
reproducibility, it can reduce
the number of variables you have in your test environment.

4. If you still cannot reproduce the problem ask the poster to provide
a script to reproduce
the relevant parts of their schema that can be used to demonstrate the
problem.
Screenshots from the poster can also be invaluable.

5. Once you have reproduced the problem, study the code, ask
questions, try your
changes, then test it out.  Ideally, if you have code that fixes a
bug, it would also be nice
to write a JUnit test that exposes the problem and shows that the fix
corrects it.  However,
UI problems are not easily exposed with JUnit so you should probably
skip the JUnit test
in that case.

6. Submit a patch to the patches tracker (and link to the bug tracker
number) or attach the
patch files to the bug tracker item.  IDEs such as Eclipse can
generate a patch from your
changes if you use the IDE to checkout the source code from the CVS
repository.  If you have
to you can simply provide the modified source code - more work for us
to merge in.

Ask questions - we will respond as time permits.