how to get the doc about the source code

how to get the doc about the source code

zhang li
hi,

I am interested in the development of the squirrel, but there is a lot of
source code. Is there any document about the source, it explains the
modules, classes and so on and facilates the reading,understanding and
further developing.

thanks a lot.

Re: how to get the doc about the source code

Gerd Wagner
Hi Zhang,

a good thing to start with is to write plugins for SQuirreL. In CVS
there is a plugin called example. This plugin is very small and easy to
understand. Maybe you should have a look at this first.

To find out more about what plugins can do you might have a look at
sqlscript, editextras and sqlbookmarks next.

I an extra mail I'll send you a paper that we intend to publish in a
magazine some day. It rather addresses SQuirreL users but also explains
plugin programming.

Last but not least you may post questions to this list.

Gerd

zhang li wrote:

> hi,
> I am interested in the development of the squirrel, but there is a lot
> of source code. Is there any document about the source, it explains the
> modules, classes and so on and facilates the reading,understanding and
> further developing.
>
> thanks a lot.

Re: how to get the doc about the source code

Rob Manning
Gerd Wagner wrote:

>Hi Zhang,
>
>a good thing to start with is to write plugins for SQuirreL. In CVS
>there is a plugin called example. This plugin is very small and easy to
>understand. Maybe you should have a look at this first.

I couldn't agree more. That is what got me started.

>To find out more about what plugins can do you might have a look at
>sqlscript, editextras and sqlbookmarks next.

If you are thinking you'd like to write a plugin, but can't decide what
is needed, might I suggest a
PostgreSQL plugin? It's been requested (see RFE items) and there are
plenty of example plugins to
use as a guide for implementation (MySQL, Firebird, MS-SQLServer, etc.)
A simple place to start
would be to figure out how to get the source SQL of a database object
such as a table or view and
execute that SQL statement on the PostgreSQL sessions when a table/view
is selected and the
"Source" panel is selected. The "Source" panel would be provided for
whichever database objects you
choose to support in the plugin. From there you might choose more
sophisitcated operations like manipulating
indexes and other such useful functions that PostgreSQL allows an
administrator to do.

The reason I suggest PostgreSQL is that it doesn't cost anything to
install and use it (except time!), there's a nice
admin tool if you are not already a PG DBA (pgadmin III) and there
should be documentation available to
you for finding the DDL SQL statements that should go in the plugin. If
you have access to a different
database that we don't have a plugin for already and you feel motivated
to provide a plugin for it, by all
means choose that one instead.

Rob Manning

CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
This message has been scanned for viruses by
ClamAV v0.83

Re: how to get the doc about the source code

Glenn Griffin
Anyone want to write an architecture doc? I'm thinking a 2-page note
giving an overview of the main components and how they work together,
especially in the core. Soe useful topics would include:
- fw vs. app
- the main screen
- the preference screens
- save/restore of info in the XML files
- dataviewers
- cell components
- a reference to the plug-in architecture described in Gerd's paper
If someone would like to create a document containing an outline of such
topics, perhaps we could fill it in over time. Any thoughts?

Glenn

Glenn Griffin wrote:

>Anyone want to write an architecture doc? I'm thinking a 2-page note
>giving an overview of the main components and how they work together,
>especially in the core. Soe useful topics would include:
>- fw vs. app
>- the main screen
>- the preference screens
>- save/restore of info in the XML files
>- dataviewers
>- cell components
>- a reference to the plug-in architecture described in Gerd's paper
>If someone would like to create a document containing an outline of such
>topics, perhaps we could fill it in over time. Any thoughts?
>
>Glenn

Glenn,

I'm so sorry for the lack of response. I was hoping that someone who was
longer into this
project would step up to your request, but I suppose there are no
architect-types left
that are still monitoring the list. I don't claim to be a SQuirreL
architect (outside of my little plugin).
And on occasions where I've checked in code to the "core" I've attempted
to keep the spirit of the original
code. However, I've been going back and reading the development list
archive and picking up little
gems from years past such as this one from Colin which describes his
goals for SQuirreL:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=233944

I suppose with a little encouragement (and some more time learning the
core modules) I'd could be
convinced that I should put together such a document as the one you've
outlined. I'm still hoping that
a real "architect" whose been developing SQuirreL for more than 6 months
shows up :-)

Rob