Quantcast

embed squirrel in my java app?

Bruce Buchanan
greetings -

I'm building a simple data utility that lets our team load data, browse it, do a vew simple views etc

this is not a commercial project, just a one-off that I'm trying to put together quickly

part of the use case is querying the data and I'm wondering why I should build a query tool from scratch

and another part of the use case is that it be an easy to install, all in one type tool

so, the question: why not just embed squirrel? using H2 as my database,  also embedded

thanks

ps: if this just isnt possible w/ squirrel, does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Re: embed squirrel in my java app?

Haxwell
I bet you could embed Squirrel, but it seems like overkill..

Maybe I am simplifying your requirements too much, but I assume you just
want to allow the user to enter a query, be able to execute it, and show
the results. Perhaps you want to also show a list of database tables, and
their structure.

If that about covers it, then you'd only need to use something like JPA or
Hibernate to query the database. You could query the DB directly for table
listings and their structure, and/or use the JPA/Hibernate API.

Even if I didn't divine your requirements correctly, I'd bet a bitcoin you
don't need to embed Squirrel to hit your mark.

Disclaimer: I've submitted a few patches, but I am no where near an expert
on Squirrel.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Bruce Buchanan
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> greetings -
>
> I'm building a simple data utility that lets our team load data, browse
> it, do a vew simple views etc
>
> this is not a commercial project, just a one-off that I'm trying to put
> together quickly
>
> part of the use case is querying the data and I'm wondering why I should
> build a query tool from scratch
>
> and another part of the use case is that it be an easy to install, all in
> one type tool
>
> so, the question: why not just embed squirrel? using H2 as my database,
>  also embedded
>
> thanks
>
> ps: if this just isnt possible w/ squirrel, does anyone have any ideas?
>
> thanks

Re: embed squirrel in my java app?

darrell smith
the way i understood the requirements, a simple ETL into a sqlite db would
also suffice.  squirrel is a perfectly capable front end for the sql-savvy,
and there are a number of spreadsheet-like front ends that also support
ad-hoc queries, for the not-so savvy, so you can tailor the tool to the
operator.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM, Johnathan James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I bet you could embed Squirrel, but it seems like overkill..
>
> Maybe I am simplifying your requirements too much, but I assume you just
> want to allow the user to enter a query, be able to execute it, and show
> the results. Perhaps you want to also show a list of database tables, and
> their structure.
>
> If that about covers it, then you'd only need to use something like JPA or
> Hibernate to query the database. You could query the DB directly for table
> listings and their structure, and/or use the JPA/Hibernate API.
>
> Even if I didn't divine your requirements correctly, I'd bet a bitcoin you
> don't need to embed Squirrel to hit your mark.
>
> Disclaimer: I've submitted a few patches, but I am no where near an expert
> on Squirrel.
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Bruce Buchanan
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > greetings -
> >
> > I'm building a simple data utility that lets our team load data, browse
> > it, do a vew simple views etc
> >
> > this is not a commercial project, just a one-off that I'm trying to put
> > together quickly
> >
> > part of the use case is querying the data and I'm wondering why I should
> > build a query tool from scratch
> >
> > and another part of the use case is that it be an easy to install, all in
> > one type tool
> >
> > so, the question: why not just embed squirrel? using H2 as my database,
> >  also embedded
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > ps: if this just isnt possible w/ squirrel, does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > thanks

Re: embed squirrel in my java app?

Haxwell
I was going to mention as well, if only for posterity's sake, that there
are surely other pieces of code that would be easier to modify to the
requirements mentioned. I would check sample applications for some relevant
technologies (JPA, Hibernate, other Java DB technologies) and open source
projects on github, sourceforge, etc,