display ony SQL time taken to retrieve info but not display data

display ony SQL time taken to retrieve info but not display data

Emanuel.Chiavegato
Hi,

   I run some simple Select queries against my datasources. Some of the queries return too much data but as I am working on performance tuning I am only interested in the time that it took to retrieve all rows and not in the data itself.

   So I would like to know if it is possible to get only the time taken to return all the rows from a SQL query against my datasources without bringing back any data??

   Any ideas would be a great help - either with a command to be added in my SQL Select statement or just pointing where in the SQuirreL java code I could change to dispose the data.

Many thanks

Emanuel Chiavegato

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.
Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated
by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.
The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. is authorised and regulated by the
De Nederlandsche Bank and has its seat at Amsterdam, the
Netherlands, and is registered in the Commercial Register under
number 33002587. Registered Office: Gustav Mahlerlaan 350,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V. and
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc are authorised to act as agent for each
other in certain jurisdictions.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily
secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc and The Royal Bank of Scotland
N.V. including its affiliates ("RBS group") does not accept responsibility
for changes made to this message after it was sent. For the protection
of RBS group and its clients and customers, and in compliance with
regulatory requirements, the contents of both incoming and outgoing
e-mail communications, which could include proprietary information and
Non-Public Personal Information, may be read by authorised persons
within RBS group other than the intended recipient(s).

viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will
not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted
by the RBS group in this regard and the recipient should carry out such
virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

Visit our website at www.rbs.com

Re: display ony SQL time taken to retrieve info but not display data

John Hardin
On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, [hidden email] wrote:

>   I run some simple Select queries against my datasources. Some of the
>   queries return too much data but as I am working on performance tuning
>   I am only interested in the time that it took to retrieve all rows and
>   not in the data itself.
>
>   So I would like to know if it is possible to get only the time taken
>   to return all the rows from a SQL query against my datasources without
>   bringing back any data??
>
>   Any ideas would be a great help - either with a command to be added in
>   my SQL Select statement or just pointing where in the SQuirreL java
>   code I could change to dispose the data.

There are options to query the data to a file (I don't know the details
because I've never used Squirrel to do that, sorry).

How about: use that option and enter the filename "/dev/null" for *nix or
"nul:" for Windows.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]