default_drivers.xml

Robert Manning
Gerd,

I was trying to get the new H2 driver definitions into SQuirreL this morning and
I noticed something peculiar.  The default drivers definition file (default_drivers.xml)
has more entries in it than what I have in my development copy installed locally.
Also, after updating this file and deploying my changes, I do not see the new H2
definitions.  So I looked at the code and at DataCache line 339, it seems like
we look for the existing drivers.xml file and load that and skip loading the default
drivers.  Is that correct? If so, shouldn't we be merging the default defs so that any
new ones get placed into the existing drivers.xml file - So we don't force the user
to start over to get the new defs - that or merging them in by hand?

Re: default_drivers.xml

Gerd Wagner
Robert Manning wrote:

> Gerd,
>
> I was trying to get the new H2 driver definitions into SQuirreL this
> morning and
> I noticed something peculiar.  The default drivers definition file
> (default_drivers.xml)
> has more entries in it than what I have in my development copy installed
> locally.
> Also, after updating this file and deploying my changes, I do not see
> the new H2
> definitions.  So I looked at the code and at DataCache line 339, it
> seems like
> we look for the existing drivers.xml file and load that and skip loading
> the default
> drivers.  Is that correct? If so, shouldn't we be merging the default
> defs so that any
> new ones get placed into the existing drivers.xml file - So we don't
> force the user
> to start over to get the new defs - that or merging them in by hand?
I think when you press the "Copy default driver defintions ... " button
all default drivers that are not in the list are copied to it.

I'm not sure if we could update the list for people that are already
using SQuirreL without annoying some of them. Nonetheless I see your
point that lots of people won't ever get to know of new default drivers.

If you could figure out a decent way to point people to new default
drivers that would be fine.