connecting to Oracle through VPN

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

connecting to Oracle through VPN

Mark Neher

I have been using Squirrel for almost two years at work to connect to an
Oracle 10g database.  I recently installed it at home, as I frequently have
to provide support from there, and have been unable to connect to the
database -- I get the ubiquitous "The Network Adapter could not establish
the connection" message.  I have a VPN connection, and have had no other
issues working with any other machines in our network.  I spoke to one of
our DBAs; he tried it from his home, and was able to connect, so there
doesn't seem to be any inherent issue with connecting from outside.

Does anybody have any ideas ??  Any irregularities noticed relating to VPN,
firewalls, etc. ??

Thanks for the help,

Mark




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Maury Hammel
Mark Neher wrote:

>
> I have been using Squirrel for almost two years at work to connect to an
> Oracle 10g database.  I recently installed it at home, as I frequently
> have to provide support from there, and have been unable to connect to
> the database -- I get the ubiquitous "The Network Adapter could not
> establish the connection" message.  I have a VPN connection, and have
> had no other issues working with any other machines in our network.  I
> spoke to one of our DBAs; he tried it from his home, and was able to
> connect, so there doesn't seem to be any inherent issue with connecting
> from outside.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas ??  Any irregularities noticed relating to
> VPN, firewalls, etc. ??

I have had the same problem as well.  SQuirreL did work over VPN for a
while, but after one of the interim releases (I don't remember which) of
1.2 (now 2.0), I started getting the same error.  I reported it to this
list, but nobody had any ideas at that time.  I'm pretty sure that it is
a problem somewhere in SQuirreL, as I was able to write a little Java
program that opened the same JDBC connection and query the database I
was trying to get at with SQuirreL.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but you're not alone.


Maury...



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Rob Manning
In reply to this post by Mark Neher
Mark Neher wrote:

>
> I have been using Squirrel for almost two years at work to connect to
> an Oracle 10g database.  I recently installed it at home, as I
> frequently have to provide support from there, and have been unable to
> connect to the database -- I get the ubiquitous "The Network Adapter
> could not establish the connection" message.  I have a VPN connection,
> and have had no other issues working with any other machines in our
> network.  I spoke to one of our DBAs; he tried it from his home, and
> was able to connect, so there doesn't seem to be any inherent issue
> with connecting from outside.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas ??  Any irregularities noticed relating to
> VPN, firewalls, etc. ??

Mark,

It's funny you should be asking about this.  A co-worker and I have had
a similar experience.
We both connect to the same Oracle 9i database from home using the same
vpn software, and
I never see the problem, but he consistently sees the problem.  We both
used the same Oracle 10g
driver.  Furthermore, he tried DBVisualizer (trial edition) and it
connected fine.  In SQuirreL I noticed in
SQLDriverManager (line 125) it does java.sql.Driver.connect() instead of
DriverManager.getConnection().
I believe that part of the answer lies here.  It's done this way (in
SQuirreL) since it's possible to register multiple drivers
that handle the same jdbc URL, and therefore it would be inappropriate
to use DriverManager.getConnection.
I suspect the other part may have to do with the Internet connection
over which the vpn connection is
made, although that's just a guess.  It's baffling to me, but I'm still
searching for an answer to this one.
Not having the source code to the driver isn't really helping here :-(

Rob Manning


CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
This message has been scanned for viruses by
ClamAV v0.83




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Gerd Wagner
Hi all,

I wrote the little standalone test class below. It tries to follow
SQuirreL's way to connect as close as I could do in such a little class.
Perhaps you could try out this class on a client where the problem exists.

Gerd




package pack;

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.Driver;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import java.util.Properties;

public class SQuirreLConnectTest
{

    public static void main(String[] args)
       throws SQLException, IllegalAccessException,
InstantiationException, ClassNotFoundException
    {
       Connection connection = getConnection("org.postgresql.Driver",
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost/AnnaDB", "gerd", "", null);

       System.out.println("Connected to: " +
connection.getMetaData().getURL());
    }


    /**
     * @param props may be null
     */
    public static Connection getConnection(String driver, String url,
String user, String pw, Properties props)
       throws ClassNotFoundException, IllegalAccessException,
InstantiationException, SQLException
    {
       if (null == props)
       {
          props = new Properties();
       }

       props.put("user", user);
       props.put("password", pw);


       Driver driverInst = (Driver) Class.forName(driver).newInstance();

       Connection jdbcConn = driverInst.connect(url, props);
       if (jdbcConn == null)
       {
          throw new RuntimeException("Connect failed");
       }

       return jdbcConn;
    }
}







Rob Manning wrote:

> Mark Neher wrote:
>
>>
>> I have been using Squirrel for almost two years at work to connect to
>> an Oracle 10g database.  I recently installed it at home, as I
>> frequently have to provide support from there, and have been unable to
>> connect to the database -- I get the ubiquitous "The Network Adapter
>> could not establish the connection" message.  I have a VPN connection,
>> and have had no other issues working with any other machines in our
>> network.  I spoke to one of our DBAs; he tried it from his home, and
>> was able to connect, so there doesn't seem to be any inherent issue
>> with connecting from outside.
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas ??  Any irregularities noticed relating to
>> VPN, firewalls, etc. ??
>
>
> Mark,
>
> It's funny you should be asking about this.  A co-worker and I have had
> a similar experience.
> We both connect to the same Oracle 9i database from home using the same
> vpn software, and
> I never see the problem, but he consistently sees the problem.  We both
> used the same Oracle 10g
> driver.  Furthermore, he tried DBVisualizer (trial edition) and it
> connected fine.  In SQuirreL I noticed in
> SQLDriverManager (line 125) it does java.sql.Driver.connect() instead of
> DriverManager.getConnection().
> I believe that part of the answer lies here.  It's done this way (in
> SQuirreL) since it's possible to register multiple drivers
> that handle the same jdbc URL, and therefore it would be inappropriate
> to use DriverManager.getConnection.
> I suspect the other part may have to do with the Internet connection
> over which the vpn connection is
> made, although that's just a guess.  It's baffling to me, but I'm still
> searching for an answer to this one. Not having the source code to the
> driver isn't really helping here :-(
>
> Rob Manning
>
>
> CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
> Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
> This message has been scanned for viruses by
> ClamAV v0.83
>
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
> Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
> and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
> _______________________________________________
> Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Rob Manning
Gerd Wagner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wrote the little standalone test class below. It tries to follow
> SQuirreL's way to connect as close as I could do in such a little
> class. Perhaps you could try out this class on a client where the
> problem exists.

Gerd,

That is very helpful.  I was considering doing the same myself.
Thanks!

Rob


CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
This message has been scanned for viruses by
ClamAV v0.83




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Mark Neher
In reply to this post by Gerd Wagner
Thanks, I'll try it from the suspect location.  It works fine from here at
work, but that's what we're talking about after all.

Mark


>From: Gerd Wagner <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>CC: Mark Neher <[hidden email]>,  
>[hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Squirrel-sql-users] connecting to Oracle through VPN
>Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:20:27 +0200
>
>Hi all,
>
>I wrote the little standalone test class below. It tries to follow
>SQuirreL's way to connect as close as I could do in such a little class.
>Perhaps you could try out this class on a client where the problem exists.
>
>Gerd
>
>
>




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: connecting to Oracle through VPN

Mark Neher
In reply to this post by Rob Manning

Upgrading the drivers did the trick for me.  I have successfully used the
9.2 Oracle drivers at work, with Squirrel versions 1.2beta5 and 2.0; my
failure at home was with Oracle 9.2 and Squirrel 2.0.  Oracle version 10.1
still failed, but the 10.2 drivers got me in.  Thanks to all for the
feedback.

I'm still somewhat curious as to which versions are problematic -- as an
exercise, I may try to run the various drivers with 1.2beta 5 just to see
what works.

Regards,

Mark


>From: Rob Manning <[hidden email]>
>Reply-To: [hidden email]
>To: Gerd Wagner <[hidden email]>
>CC: Mark Neher
><[hidden email]>,[hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Squirrel-sql-users] connecting to Oracle through VPN
>Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:25:10 -0400
>
>Gerd Wagner wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I wrote the little standalone test class below. It tries to follow
>>SQuirreL's way to connect as close as I could do in such a little class.
>>Perhaps you could try out this class on a client where the problem exists.
>
>Gerd,
>
>That is very helpful.  I was considering doing the same myself.
>Thanks!
>
>Rob
>
>
>CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
>Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
>This message has been scanned for viruses by
>ClamAV v0.83
>
>




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Squirrel-sql-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrel-sql-users
Loading...