Quantcast

Why Did You Switch To Ant

opticyclic
As someone who has an interest in build systems I see a lot of people
switching away from ant and not a lot switch the other way.

These days I get a lot of pressure to use Maven or Gradle in mt projects,
and whilst each has benefits I still bump across things that are simple in
Ant but not possible in the others (unless you use an ant plugin!).
e.g. in Ant I filter out properties that contain PASS before I publish my
jar to maven (using maven-ant tasks) so that my application can use the
passwords in the properties but public dependencies don't have access. This
isn't possible in Maven.
Another example is extracting files from a zip/jar and flattening the
result. Easy in Ant, not possible in Gradle (using default tasks).

A recent commit looks like you have switched from Maven to Ant.
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/481d81922ec0eca5a50d07073ed0bb36176dcb19/
Would you mind describing your reasons?

Thanks!

Re: Why Did You Switch To Ant

Gerd Wagner-3

Am 10.08.2014 05:34, schrieb opticyclic:
> As someone who has an interest in build systems I see a lot of people
> switching away from ant and not a lot switch the other way.

The reason was simplification. Several poms often containing several
hundred of lines of code were replaced by a single Ant script with a bit
more than 200 lines of code.

It might well be that this simplification was due to our Plugin
architecture which might not have been well suited for Maven.

Here's some detailed information on how the switch to Ant came about:

In February/March 2014 Jaroslaw Jarmolowicz sent me some patches
concerning the Postgres Plugin (For details see
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/core/doc/changes.txt)
. These changes needed some Postgres specific libs at compile- and
runtime. I was reluctant to put these in SQuirreL's global lib directory
but wanted to have them in the Plugin's lib directory. I tried a while
to get this to work with Maven and finally gave up.

So I decided to do a "bit" restructuring of the project and to introduce
Ant.

Hope this helps you to understand my decision.

Gerd