When VPN: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: invalid arguments in call

When VPN: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: invalid arguments in call

forumer
I see this behavior both in 2.0 and 2.1rc2

When I connect Squirrel via VPN, I can connect to the databases just fine and even open the list of tables. But when I click on columns or contents tabs etc, I get the error:

java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: invalid arguments in call

But the same client works fine from work!

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

Re: When VPN: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: invalid arguments in call

Rob Manning
Yes, I believe I'm working on the problem.  The bug manifests itself with
a number of different error messages but it is most reproducible when
selecting
contents, columns, etc. of a table over a VPN against Oracle.  Oracle's
driver
doesn't appear to handle multi-threaded access to DatabaseMetaData very well
and this is the result.  The bug is here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1276957&group_id=28383&atid=393414

You might try updating to the latest Oracle 10g JDBC driver, but even
this may
not  help.  It seems to work in some cases but not others.  The VPN
changes the
timing of the multiple threads' acess to DMD in such a way that exposes
this issue.
If you are lucky this will help.

Rob

Gulgul Mamla wrote:

> Oracle 9.1
>
> On 11/24/05, *Rob Manning* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Gulgul Mamla wrote:
>
>     > I see this behavior both in 2.0 and 2.1rc2
>     >
>     > When I connect Squirrel via VPN, I can connect to the databases
>     just
>     > fine and even open the list of tables. But when I click on
>     columns or
>     > contents tabs etc, I get the error:
>     >
>     > java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: invalid arguments in call
>     >
>     > But the same client works fine from work!
>     >
>     > I'd appreciate any help.
>     >
>
>     What database are you using?
>
>     Rob

CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
This message has been scanned for viruses by
ClamAV v0.83

Gulgul Mamla wrote:

> I really appreciate your prompt response! Thanks.

Your welcome!

> Do you know where I could get the 10g driver from?

The latest driver seems to be 10.2.0.1.0 and appears to be available for
download here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/index.html

Gulgul Mamla wrote:

> Rob,
>
> 10g driver worked!
>
> Thank you VERY much for your help!

That's great to hear - and another data point.  Your welcome :)