Quantcast

Unix application icon

Federico Bruni-2
Hi all

In the last snapshots I've noticed the new crispy icon acorn.png
However in Linux (Fedora, gnome-shell) I see the old acorn.ico when I
search the application (and when I mark it as favorite) and I see the
nice acorn.png when SquirrelSQL is running. Inconsistent behaviour.

This is because the .desktop file generated during the installation
contains the path to the .ico file.
Can you change it to the .png file?

[squirrel-sql-git (master)]$ git grep acorn\.ico
archive/sql12/build/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
archive/sql12/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
archive/squirrel-sql/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
sql12/core/doc/changes.txt:On Mac OS X the SQuirreL now uses the acorn
icon instead of the default java coffee cup icon.
sql12/installer/other/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
sql12/installer/other/shortcutSpec.xml:
iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"

As far as I can see in the freedesktop spec, PNG is the recommended
bitmap format:

> An icon file is an image that can be loaded and used as an icon. The
> supported image file formats are PNG, XPM and SVG. PNG is the
> recommended bitmap format, and SVG is for vectorized icons. XPM is
> supported due to backwards compability reasons, and it is not
> recommended that new themes use XPM files. Support for SVGs is
> optional.

 From:
https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

Thanks
Federico

Re: Unix application icon

Gerd Wagner-3

The problem should be fixed. Could you please give
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/files/3-snapshots/snapshot-20161223_2019
a try.

Thanks
Gerd

Am 22.12.2016 um 17:02 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> Hi all
>
> In the last snapshots I've noticed the new crispy icon acorn.png
> However in Linux (Fedora, gnome-shell) I see the old acorn.ico when I
> search the application (and when I mark it as favorite) and I see the
> nice acorn.png when SquirrelSQL is running. Inconsistent behaviour.
>
> This is because the .desktop file generated during the installation
> contains the path to the .ico file.
> Can you change it to the .png file?
>
> [squirrel-sql-git (master)]$ git grep acorn\.ico
> archive/sql12/build/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
> archive/sql12/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
> archive/squirrel-sql/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
> sql12/core/doc/changes.txt:On Mac OS X the SQuirreL now uses the acorn
> icon instead of the default java coffee cup icon.
> sql12/installer/other/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
> sql12/installer/other/shortcutSpec.xml:
> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>

> As far as I can see in the freedesktop spec, PNG is the recommended
> bitmap format:
>
>> An icon file is an image that can be loaded and used as an icon. The
>> supported image file formats are PNG, XPM and SVG. PNG is the
>> recommended bitmap format, and SVG is for vectorized icons. XPM is
>> supported due to backwards compability reasons, and it is not
>> recommended that new themes use XPM files. Support for SVGs is
>> optional.
>
>  From:
> https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>
> Thanks
> Federico

Re: Unix application icon

Federico Bruni-2
I've tried, but now no icon is displayed when I search or bookmark
Squirrel.
The desktop file still contains a link to the .ico file:

Icon=/home/fede/usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico

I cannot open the acorn.ico file. The Gnome image viewer says
"Compressed icons not supported".

$ file usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico
usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico: MS Windows
icon resource - 1 icon, 256x256 with PNG image data, 512 x 512,
8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced, 32 bits/pixel

Il giorno ven 23 dic 2016 alle 20:27, Gerd Wagner
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> The problem should be fixed. Could you please give
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/files/3-snapshots/snapshot-20161223_2019
> a try.
>
> Thanks
> Gerd
>
> Am 22.12.2016 um 17:02 schrieb Federico Bruni:
>> Hi all
>>
>> In the last snapshots I've noticed the new crispy icon acorn.png
>> However in Linux (Fedora, gnome-shell) I see the old acorn.ico when I
>> search the application (and when I mark it as favorite) and I see the
>> nice acorn.png when SquirrelSQL is running. Inconsistent behaviour.
>>
>> This is because the .desktop file generated during the installation
>> contains the path to the .ico file.
>> Can you change it to the .png file?
>>
>> [squirrel-sql-git (master)]$ git grep acorn\.ico
>> archive/sql12/build/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>> archive/sql12/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>> archive/squirrel-sql/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>> sql12/core/doc/changes.txt:On Mac OS X the SQuirreL now uses the
>> acorn
>> icon instead of the default java coffee cup icon.
>> sql12/installer/other/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>> sql12/installer/other/shortcutSpec.xml:
>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>

>> As far as I can see in the freedesktop spec, PNG is the recommended
>> bitmap format:
>>
>>> An icon file is an image that can be loaded and used as an icon. The
>>> supported image file formats are PNG, XPM and SVG. PNG is the
>>> recommended bitmap format, and SVG is for vectorized icons. XPM is
>>> supported due to backwards compability reasons, and it is not
>>> recommended that new themes use XPM files. Support for SVGs is
>>> optional.
>>
>>  From:
>> https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>>
>> Thanks
>> Federico

Re: Unix application icon

Gerd Wagner-3
Sorry, I can't reproduce the problem on my KDE desktop. But since there
seems to be a problem with icon compression you may try out the
following snapshot where the icon isn't compressed anymore.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/files/3-snapshots/snapshot-20161227_2119/

Gerd

Am 24.12.2016 um 10:07 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> I've tried, but now no icon is displayed when I search or bookmark
> Squirrel.
> The desktop file still contains a link to the .ico file:
>
> Icon=/home/fede/usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico
>
> I cannot open the acorn.ico file. The Gnome image viewer says
> "Compressed icons not supported".
>
> $ file usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico
> usr/squirrel-sql-snapshot-20161223_2019/icons/acorn.ico: MS Windows icon
> resource - 1 icon, 256x256 with PNG image data, 512 x 512, 8-bit/color
> RGBA, non-interlaced, 32 bits/pixel
>

> Il giorno ven 23 dic 2016 alle 20:27, Gerd Wagner
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>>
>> The problem should be fixed. Could you please give
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/files/3-snapshots/snapshot-20161223_2019
>>
>> a try.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gerd
>>
>> Am 22.12.2016 um 17:02 schrieb Federico Bruni:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> In the last snapshots I've noticed the new crispy icon acorn.png
>>> However in Linux (Fedora, gnome-shell) I see the old acorn.ico when I
>>> search the application (and when I mark it as favorite) and I see the
>>> nice acorn.png when SquirrelSQL is running. Inconsistent behaviour.
>>>
>>> This is because the .desktop file generated during the installation
>>> contains the path to the .ico file.
>>> Can you change it to the .png file?
>>>
>>> [squirrel-sql-git (master)]$ git grep acorn\.ico
>>> archive/sql12/build/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
>>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>> archive/sql12/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
>>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>> archive/squirrel-sql/build/shortcutSpec.xml:
>>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>> sql12/core/doc/changes.txt:On Mac OS X the SQuirreL now uses the acorn
>>> icon instead of the default java coffee cup icon.
>>> sql12/installer/other/Unix_shortcutSpec.xml:
>>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>> sql12/installer/other/shortcutSpec.xml:
>>> iconFile="$INSTALL_PATH/icons/acorn.ico"
>>>

>>> As far as I can see in the freedesktop spec, PNG is the recommended
>>> bitmap format:

>>>  From:
>>> https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Federico

Re: Unix application icon

Federico Bruni-2
It doesn't work  either:

1. no icon in gnome-shell
2. cannot open the .ico file with Gnome image viewer. I get the error:
"Invalid header in icon".

Why not changing to .png?