Quantcast

Unable to connect to Oracle DB using Squirrel

Unable to connect to Oracle DB using Squirrel

hechesspee
Hi,
I'm using Squirrel 3.3.0 and Oracle 9i client.
I configured the Oracle Thin driver by using the ojdbc14.jar in the Extra Class Path

Then I configured the alias as below (apart from login details)

jdbc:oracle:thin:UKIRP251:1521:PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org

where  HOST = UKIRP251 and SERVICE_NAME = PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org

However I'm unable to connect and I'm getting the error as -

IO exception. The network adapter could not establish the connection.

Can anyone help me resolve this?

Regards
Harsha

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle DB using Squirrel

Drav Sloan-6
hechesspee wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using Squirrel 3.3.0 and Oracle 9i client.
> I configured the Oracle Thin driver by using the ojdbc14.jar in the Extra
> Class Path
>
> Then I configured the alias as below (apart from login details)
>
> jdbc:oracle:thin:UKIRP251:1521:PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org
>
> where  HOST = UKIRP251 and SERVICE_NAME = PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org
>
> However I'm unable to connect and I'm getting the error as -
>
> IO exception. The network adapter could not establish the connection.
>
> Can anyone help me resolve this?

A thin client does not use the TNS name lookup.

The schema for thin clients is:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@<server>[:<1521>]:<database_name>

<server> would be PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org I assume? It has to
be resolvable by DNS. <1521> is the port it connects
on and <database_name> is the schema you need to access.

Regards

D.

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle DB using Squirrel

Stefan Willinger

The IOException indicates, that you can't reach the DB-Host.

Try one of the following on a command line:
* ping hostname
* telnet hostname portNumber

The telnet must be successfully.

But please, check if you have the right host and SID

PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org looks a little bit strange for a SID. Looks more like a DB-Hostname as a SID.

Stefan

Am 2012-03-05 15:55, schrieb hechesspee:
Hi,
I'm using Squirrel 3.3.0 and Oracle 9i client.
I configured the Oracle Thin driver by using the ojdbc14.jar in the Extra
Class Path

Then I configured the alias as below (apart from login details)

jdbc:oracle:thin:UKIRP251:1521:PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org

where  HOST = UKIRP251 and SERVICE_NAME = PFNGFD01.ukroi.tesco.org

However I'm unable to connect and I'm getting the error as -

IO exception. The network adapter could not establish the connection.

Can anyone help me resolve this?

Regards
Harsha

Re: Unable to connect to Oracle DB using Squirrel

Robert Manning
To echo Stefan's comments, the SID is usually 8 characters or less.  A service name is typically specified in tnsnames.ora and allows Oracle apps (such as SQL*Plus) to connect to a remote database.  If you use SQL*Plus to login to the database as the sys user (or any privileged user 'as sysdba') and execute the following command:

show parameter DB_NAME;

You should get the correct value to use for the SID.

Rob

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Stefan Willinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Diavolo
you are trying to connect with the service name using this

server:port:serviceName

for this to work you need de correct SID if you dont have it and you cant connect to review the db name yo can connect trhough squirrel using the Service name as follows

server:port/serviceName

regards! i hope it helps!