Right-click in our plug-in

Baxter, Betsy
We have developed a plug-in that retrieves meta-data and data from our
proprietary database.  Our customers are complaining that they have to
left-click to set focus on an item in our plug-in and then right-click
to display the options for that item in the tree.  This is different
than many Windows tools like Windows Explorer where they only have to
right-click to set focus.  The users feel it is frustrating because the
right-click displays a menu for the last thing they set focus on and
they don't immediately realize that this is the wrong item.

Is there something we can do to enable the right-click to set focus on
an item?

Thanks and regards,

Betsy Baxter
ATG Engineering and Support
Cincom Systems
513.612.2676

Re: Right-click in our plug-in

Robert Manning
On Feb 14, 2008 5:18 PM, Baxter, Betsy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have developed a plug-in that retrieves meta-data and data from our
> proprietary database.  Our customers are complaining that they have to
> left-click to set focus on an item in our plug-in and then right-click
> to display the options for that item in the tree.  This is different
> than many Windows tools like Windows Explorer where they only have to
> right-click to set focus.  The users feel it is frustrating because the
> right-click displays a menu for the last thing they set focus on and
> they don't immediately realize that this is the wrong item.
>
> Is there something we can do to enable the right-click to set focus on
> an item?
Hi Betsy,

This behavior appears to me to be hard-coded.  The attached univ. diff
patch can be applied to the latest version of

app/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/client/session/mainpanel/objecttree/ObjectTree.java

in CVS and should give you the behavior you desire.  Let me know if it
works for you (especially if it doesn't work), and I'll try to
come up with a configuration for it in the next release.  It makes
alot of sense to me that users would want this behavior, but then
again, someone might actually like the extra mouse clicks :)

Re: Right-click in our plug-in

Robert Manning
On Feb 18, 2008 7:18 PM, Robert Manning <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2008 5:18 PM, Baxter, Betsy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there something we can do to enable the right-click to set focus on
> > an item?
>
> Hi Betsy,
>
> This behavior appears to me to be hard-coded.  The attached univ. diff
> patch can be applied to the latest version of
>
> app/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/client/session/mainpanel/objecttree/ObjectTree.java
>
> in CVS and should give you the behavior you desire.
Further testing revealed that the previous patch discards existing
selections erroneously.  So the attached patch should be used instead.
 When selecting a node that is not already selected, then the
selection changes; but if the node(or nodes) is already selected, then
existing selection is not modified.

BTW, this behavior is inconsistent with other lists in the application
(for example, like drivers and aliases).  It will take a bit more
effort to make this desired behaviour consistent across the entire
application.  But this should at least give you what you requested.
Let me know if you have any troubles with it.

Re: Right-click in our plug-in

Robert Manning
On Feb 18, 2008 8:03 PM, Robert Manning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 7:18 PM, Robert Manning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Further testing revealed that the previous patch discards existing
> selections erroneously.  So the attached patch should be used instead.

Well, I somehow managed to provide the same exact patch in the
previous email :)  The new patch (patch.txt) is attached.

patch.txt (3K) Download Attachment