Release planning

Robert Manning
All,

Gerd and I recently made some decisions about the next major release
of SQuirreL.
(This doesn't apply to 2.6.9 which is a minor release and may be
released soon).
We have been adding enhancements to the trunk which have only been available in
the snapshot builds for the entire year of 2008.  The enhancements involve many
areas of the code and will give SQuirreL a new look as well as new
features.  Also,
some of the UI changes leverage Java APIs that are only available in
Java6.  There
are also enhanced JDBC APIs that will be used going forward that are also only
available in Java6.  We dropped support for 1.4 on 12/31/2006 with the
2.4 release and
moved to Java5 then.  While dropping support for Java5 in this upcoming release
may not be well received by some users, we believe that is the best
way forward for
SQuirreL.   Given that there are so many changes, rather than calling
the next release 2.7,
we decided it would be more appropriate to call the release 3.0.  As
far as timing, we
are currently planning an end of January release date - although that
is not set in stone.
Let us know of any development or translation concerns on the
appropriate mailing
list as soon as you can.

Re: Release planning

Gerd Wagner-3
Hi all,

on our web page you can find some forecast information about the next SQuirreL
version.
See:
http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/squirrel30/SQuirreL30UILayout.html

Merry Christmas to everyone

Gerd

Robert Manning wrote:

> All,
>
> Gerd and I recently made some decisions about the next major release
> of SQuirreL.
> (This doesn't apply to 2.6.9 which is a minor release and may be
> released soon).
> We have been adding enhancements to the trunk which have only been available in
> the snapshot builds for the entire year of 2008.  The enhancements involve many
> areas of the code and will give SQuirreL a new look as well as new
> features.  Also,
> some of the UI changes leverage Java APIs that are only available in
> Java6.  There
> are also enhanced JDBC APIs that will be used going forward that are also only
> available in Java6.  We dropped support for 1.4 on 12/31/2006 with the
> 2.4 release and
> moved to Java5 then.  While dropping support for Java5 in this upcoming release
> may not be well received by some users, we believe that is the best
> way forward for
> SQuirreL.   Given that there are so many changes, rather than calling
> the next release 2.7,
> we decided it would be more appropriate to call the release 3.0.  As
> far as timing, we
> are currently planning an end of January release date - although that
> is not set in stone.
> Let us know of any development or translation concerns on the
> appropriate mailing
> list as soon as you can.
>
> Rob

Fwd: Release planning

Hi folks,

Perhaps you will recall the plans that we made back in December 2008
to release SQuirreL 3.0 at the end of January (see below).  Well, we
have been testing/fixing since then, and we've come to a point where
we feel comfortable that the features we have added to the release are
stable and very usable.  We would like to release 3.0 the weekend of
Feb 21st (not this weekend, but the next).  If anyone has updated
translations to provide it's not too late to do so - just send them to
myself or Gerd and we will see that they are included.  Also, if
anyone would like to give the new release a try, just grab the latest
snapshot and please file a bug report for any issues you encounter.

Rob