Re: [Squirrel-sql-users] Two quick questions

Re: [Squirrel-sql-users] Two quick questions

Robert Manning
On Dec 12, 2007 7:54 AM, Dula, Shane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks.  I just downloaded  the 2.6 version.  So I will install that
> version.  I'm assuming that I will need to redo my Alias' ?

No; driver and alias definitions should be preserved when upgrading.
They are stored in your user profile (platform-specific) directory and
not in the SQuirreL installation directory.

> For question 2. I'm using Oracle Thin driver on for Oracle 9i.

We have a feature request for handling password expiration.
Unfortunately, JDBC doesn't specify how this is done, so at the moment
it is database-specific.  I found a thread which discusses a possible
implementation using JDBC in Oracle:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=455430&messageID=2078732

In summary, for JDBC clients, it is a problem to use the "normal"
connection API since an expired password means that you cannot
connect, which also implies that you cannot change your password.
However, Oracle seems to provide a special connection property which
allows you to specify a new password (OCINewPassword).  That's not
documented by the driver, so SQuirreL doesn't let you specify a value.
 However, the JDBC FAQ references it:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/htdocs/jdbc_faq.htm#05_05

We could probably support this by augmenting the list that we get from
the driver - the problem is that it's specific to Oracle, so we
probably want to add an plugin API for plugins to do this.  Stay
tuned!

Re: [Squirrel-sql-users] Two quick questions

Dula, Shane
I am running Java 1.4 and cannot upgrade to 1.5 right now at work.  I
have  version 2.3 final.  Is there a version that will allow me to save
as a spreadsheet without upgrading JAVA?  If so where can I find this
version as I couldn't see it in the older versions link?

Thanks again,
Shane

On Dec 12, 2007 11:35 AM, Dula, Shane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am running Java 1.4 and cannot upgrade to 1.5 right now at work.  I
> have  version 2.3 final.  Is there a version that will allow me to save
> as a spreadsheet without upgrading JAVA?  If so where can I find this
> version as I couldn't see it in the older versions link?

SQuirreL version 2.4 requires 1.5 or higher. Version 2.3.2 is the
latest version that can be run in JVM 1.4.  The in 2.3.2 changes were:

http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=470073&group_id=28383

The export to Excel feature was added in 2.4, so no there isn't a
version with that feature that can also run in JVM 1.4.