Re: Squirrel Read Only Access Feature

Robert Manning
You have correctly determined that this feature doesn't exist in the
manner that you have described.  It is very resourceful to think of
using the auto-correction feature - I'd say you get some extra points
for that :)

The "SQL Parametrisation" plugin alters SQL being executed to insert
values for "variables" that it finds in the SQL statements.  As each
statement is executed, it prompts the user for value(s) to variables
that it finds, then takes the user's value and inserts it into the
statement and allows the altered statement to be executed.  It
registers as an ISQLExecutionListener (if memory serves me correctly)
and gets a callback prior to executing the statement.  You should be
able to look at how this plugin is written and derive something that
intercepts SQL to achieve your needs.  Of course, you would also need
to have preferences that the plugin would read to determine which
sessions are to get this treatment.  Many of the plugins register an
IGlobalPreferencesTab implementation with GlobalPreferencesSheet, so
you should be able to find other examples to borrow from there as
well.

One thing that you should probably recognize here is that disabling
this new read-only feature within SQuirreL and outside of SQuirreL
would be a trivial matter.  So, you are in effect only going to keep
"honest" people "honest".  Still, I do see a use for this as you've
described to keep people from "accidentally" modifying the data in the
wrong session.  I think this would be a very useful plugin for others
if you choose to write it.

Rob