Re: CLOBs in 10.3.1.4

Robert Manning
James,

I see the problem.  Apparently Derby now disallows further access to
the Java Clob once the transaction is committed.  When using
placeholder (<Clob>) for performance, we store the Clob that the
driver gives in a ClobDescriptor for later access.  We then access it
outside of the transaction in which it was created yielding:

java.sql.SQLException: You cannot invoke other
java.sql.Clob/java.sql.Blob methods after calling the free() method or
after the Blob/Clob's transaction has been committed or rolled back.

So, an alternative work-around is to turn off auto-commit for the
session (top-right yellow icon next to the active session drop-down).
The <Clob> placeholder can then be clicked on and it will cause the
data to be loaded.  I guess this new behavior solved a caching problem
for Derby folks, but it kind of hoses us :)

I suppose the Derby plugin could provide a custom data type component
for Clobs, overriding the placeholder feature.  I'll see how feasible
that is for inclusion in 2.6.

Rob

From: SourceForge.net <[hidden email]>
Date: Oct 9, 2007 8:56 PM
JavaDB/Derby 10.3.1.4
To: [hidden email]

Bugs item #1810486, was opened at 2007-10-09 17:56
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=393414&aid=1810486&group_id=28383

not just the latest update.
Category: Derby Plugin
Group: 2.5.1

Initial Comment:
Clicking on a CLOB column doesn't pull the data; only displays the
text "<Clob>".

CLOBs in 10.3.1.4 are 2147483647

James Walker