Quantcast

Problems with RSyntax Editor Performance

Problems with RSyntax Editor Performance

Scott Parkerson
I'm posting this to the list before filing a bug to make sure it's a real bug and not just "my setup".

Ever since the SquirrelSQL team switched to using RSyntax for the code editor, I've noticed major performance issues with selecting text and scrolling, to the point of it being unusable. To note: I have only seen this issue on my Macbook Pro 15" with Retina display, so it could be an issue with java2d and the high-DPI screen (although, I have two monitors connected to the same machine that are *not* retina displays, and the same slow redraw performance happens). I have not tried running Squirrel on my similar Macbook Pro 13" (non-retina), but I'll try and see if I can reproduce it there.

I've taken a (rather dodgy, sorry) video of the poor performance, and put it up here:

        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/389811/squirrel-rsyntax-performance.mov

What you are seeing is me selecting, copying, and pasting (in various combinations) text from the editor.

Relevant information about the system:

Using Apple's Java 6 SE:
java version "1.6.0_43"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

SquirrelSQL SQL Client Snapshot-20130310_2000

Hopefully someone can help. I love Squirrel, but hate using the "plain" text editor. :)

All the best,
Scott Parkerson