Quantcast

No connection to mysql

Benedick Miller
Hello

I have just installed Squirrel 2.0 final
and Java (j2re1.5-sun)
and Jdbc Drivers: mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar (from MySQL AB)
on a machine running Ubuntu Linux "Hoary"

After all this work (!) i cannot connect to the mysql server.

My Alias (using either MySQL or MMMySQL driver, I have tried both) looks
like this:

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/contact_list

Is there something wrong there?

Should I be using MySQL or MMMySQL driver?
What is the difference?

I can connect to mysql on port 3306 fine from the command line.
I have no idea what the problem is. Any help much appreciated.

Ben
--
...Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord what fools these mortals be!

Re: No connection to mysql

Rob Manning
Benedick Miller wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have just installed Squirrel 2.0 final
> and Java (j2re1.5-sun)
> and Jdbc Drivers: mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar (from MySQL AB)
> on a machine running Ubuntu Linux "Hoary"
>
> After all this work (!) i cannot connect to the mysql server.
>
> My Alias (using either MySQL or MMMySQL driver, I have tried both)
> looks like this:
>
> jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/contact_list
>
> Is there something wrong there?
>
> Should I be using MySQL or MMMySQL driver?
> What is the difference?

 From the README I appear to be using

MySQL Connector/J 3.1.8 (formerly MM.MySQL)
MySQL AB's JDBC Driver for MySQL

to connect to MySQL 4.1.11.  Not sure about the difference between the
drivers.
I do know that MySQL requires you to grant privilege to the user
before connecting to the database.  Does the user you are attempting to
login as
have privilege to access your "contact_list" database in the MySQL server?
What error message are you seeing?

Rob Manning

CollabraSpace - Revolutionary Collaboration
Visit us at http://www.collabraspace.com
This message has been scanned for viruses by
ClamAV v0.83

Re: No connection to mysql

Benedick Miller
On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 15:27 -0400, Rob Manning wrote:

> Benedick Miller wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have just installed Squirrel 2.0 final
> > and Java (j2re1.5-sun)
> > and Jdbc Drivers: mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar (from MySQL AB)
> > on a machine running Ubuntu Linux "Hoary"
> >
> > After all this work (!) i cannot connect to the mysql server.
> >
> > My Alias (using either MySQL or MMMySQL driver, I have tried both)
> > looks like this:
> >
> > jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/contact_list
> >
> > Is there something wrong there?
> >
> > Should I be using MySQL or MMMySQL driver?
> > What is the difference?
>
>  From the README I appear to be using
>
> MySQL Connector/J 3.1.8 (formerly MM.MySQL)
> MySQL AB's JDBC Driver for MySQL
>
> to connect to MySQL 4.1.11.  Not sure about the difference between the
> drivers.
> I do know that MySQL requires you to grant privilege to the user
> before connecting to the database.  Does the user you are attempting to
> login as
> have privilege to access your "contact_list" database in the MySQL server?
> What error message are you seeing?
>
> Rob Manning

I am logging in as the MySQL administrator which works fine from a
terminal. So I don't think user-name / password is the problem.

Here is the error message:

Last packet sent to the server was 20 ms ago.

Here is the "stack Trace" output:

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due
to underlying exception:

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.SocketException
MESSAGE: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

STACKTRACE:

java.net.SocketException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.StandardSocketFactory.connect(StandardSocketFactory.java:156)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.<init>(MysqlIO.java:283)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:2541)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.<init>(Connection.java:1474)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:264)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDriverManager.getConnection(SQLDriverManager.java:124)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.OpenConnectionCommand.execute(OpenConnectionCommand.java:193)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.ConnectToAliasCommand$SheetHandler.run(ConnectToAliasCommand.java:367)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.util.TaskExecuter.run(TaskExecuter.java:82)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

** END NESTED EXCEPTION **

Last packet sent to the server was 20 ms ago.
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.createNewIO(Connection.java:2607)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.<init>(Connection.java:1474)
        at
com.mysql.jdbc.NonRegisteringDriver.connect(NonRegisteringDriver.java:264)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDriverManager.getConnection(SQLDriverManager.java:124)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.OpenConnectionCommand.execute(OpenConnectionCommand.java:193)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.client.mainframe.action.ConnectToAliasCommand$SheetHandler.run(ConnectToAliasCommand.java:367)
        at
net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.util.TaskExecuter.run(TaskExecuter.java:82)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Does this mean anything to anyone? ;-) Sorry I know nothing about how
java programs work. Please excuse if I am making a simple error.