No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

Thomas Lenarz
Hello,

Recently I filed a bug concerning SQuirreL not displaying any data
within the contents tab using an old Sybase SQL Anywhere Database:

#1148 Not Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

By debugging I discovered that SQuirreL tries to get the metadata for
defaultValue, octetLength, ordinalPosition and isNullable. Access to
corresponding data within the Metadata causes Exceptions, which are
swallowed by a finally-clause and are not caught.

For testing purposes I created a patch. It suppresses access to the
metadata-fields, causing the problem. The patch does only apply for a
Database of Dialect-Sybase.

This patch actually does solve the problem within our environment.
However, I suppose it might not be general enough as more modern
versions of SQL Anywhere probably do not suffer that problem.

I am wondering how to bring this issue forward. Should I add my
patch-files within the Sourceforge Patches section additionally to the
ones in the Bug-Section?

Are there opinions or suggestions for a better, more general solution?
I there are I would volunteer to implement it.

Thanks a lot,
Thomas

Re: No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

Robert Manning
It sounds like a buggy driver.  If that's the case, maybe the patch could
be directed toward the dialect.  If it requires modifying the dialect
interface, its a bit more serious and could require an update to the
dialect interface.  However, perhaps you could raise an issue with the
driver maintainers to correct what seems like a faulty driver
implementation ?

Rob

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Lenarz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I filed a bug concerning SQuirreL not displaying any data
> within the contents tab using an old Sybase SQL Anywhere Database:
>
> #1148 Not Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04
>
> By debugging I discovered that SQuirreL tries to get the metadata for
> defaultValue, octetLength, ordinalPosition and isNullable. Access to
> corresponding data within the Metadata causes Exceptions, which are
> swallowed by a finally-clause and are not caught.
>
> For testing purposes I created a patch. It suppresses access to the
> metadata-fields, causing the problem. The patch does only apply for a
> Database of Dialect-Sybase.
>
> This patch actually does solve the problem within our environment.
> However, I suppose it might not be general enough as more modern
> versions of SQL Anywhere probably do not suffer that problem.
>
> I am wondering how to bring this issue forward. Should I add my
> patch-files within the Sourceforge Patches section additionally to the
> ones in the Bug-Section?
>
> Are there opinions or suggestions for a better, more general solution?
> I there are I would volunteer to implement it.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Thomas

Re: No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

Thomas Lenarz
Hi Rob,

within our scenario the jdbc-odbc-bridge is used.

I thought of a driver issue in the first place as well. However, I was
told that it works flawlessly using a direct ODBC-Connection (EXCEL) and
a jdbc-odbc-bridge connection using DBVisualizer. (I have tested it
myself and can confirm that it works.)

Thats why, I finally did the debugging.

I would like to try out a different driver preferably a Type 4 one.

However, I haven't managed to create a working setup neither using the
Sybase jConnect nor the free JTds-Driver. I am not sure whether Sybase
SQL Anywhere 5.5 supports jdbc-Connections natively at all.

Cheers,
Thomas

Am 26.06.2014 03:37, schrieb Robert Manning:

> It sounds like a buggy driver.  If that's the case, maybe the patch could
> be directed toward the dialect.  If it requires modifying the dialect
> interface, its a bit more serious and could require an update to the
> dialect interface.  However, perhaps you could raise an issue with the
> driver maintainers to correct what seems like a faulty driver
> implementation ?
>
> Rob
>

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Lenarz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I filed a bug concerning SQuirreL not displaying any data
>> within the contents tab using an old Sybase SQL Anywhere Database:
>>
>> #1148 Not Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04
>>
>> By debugging I discovered that SQuirreL tries to get the metadata for
>> defaultValue, octetLength, ordinalPosition and isNullable. Access to
>> corresponding data within the Metadata causes Exceptions, which are
>> swallowed by a finally-clause and are not caught.
>>
>> For testing purposes I created a patch. It suppresses access to the
>> metadata-fields, causing the problem. The patch does only apply for a
>> Database of Dialect-Sybase.
>>
>> This patch actually does solve the problem within our environment.
>> However, I suppose it might not be general enough as more modern
>> versions of SQL Anywhere probably do not suffer that problem.
>>
>> I am wondering how to bring this issue forward. Should I add my
>> patch-files within the Sourceforge Patches section additionally to the
>> ones in the Bug-Section?
>>
>> Are there opinions or suggestions for a better, more general solution?
>> I there are I would volunteer to implement it.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Thomas

Re: No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

Robert Manning
Thomas,

Its pretty well known that the jdbc-odbc-bridge driver is an experimental
prototype.  SQuirreL relies on parts in the JDBC spec that this driver
doesn't support.   DBVisualizer probably doesn't use as much, and so works
fine for that driver.  If you can use a type 4 driver, that would be best.

In my opinion, the best that could be attempted with a patch would be to
refactor the metadata-accessing code that throws exceptions to catch them
and return a suitable string such as "unavailable".

Rob

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 5:10 AM, Thomas Lenarz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> within our scenario the jdbc-odbc-bridge is used.
>
> I thought of a driver issue in the first place as well. However, I was
> told that it works flawlessly using a direct ODBC-Connection (EXCEL) and a
> jdbc-odbc-bridge connection using DBVisualizer. (I have tested it myself
> and can confirm that it works.)
>
> Thats why, I finally did the debugging.
>
> I would like to try out a different driver preferably a Type 4 one.
>
> However, I haven't managed to create a working setup neither using the
> Sybase jConnect nor the free JTds-Driver. I am not sure whether Sybase SQL
> Anywhere 5.5 supports jdbc-Connections natively at all.
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> Am 26.06.2014 03:37, schrieb Robert Manning:
>
>  It sounds like a buggy driver.  If that's the case, maybe the patch could
>> be directed toward the dialect.  If it requires modifying the dialect
>> interface, its a bit more serious and could require an update to the
>> dialect interface.  However, perhaps you could raise an issue with the
>> driver maintainers to correct what seems like a faulty driver
>> implementation ?
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Lenarz <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello,
>>>
>>> Recently I filed a bug concerning SQuirreL not displaying any data
>>> within the contents tab using an old Sybase SQL Anywhere Database:
>>>
>>> #1148 Not Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04
>>>
>>> By debugging I discovered that SQuirreL tries to get the metadata for
>>> defaultValue, octetLength, ordinalPosition and isNullable. Access to
>>> corresponding data within the Metadata causes Exceptions, which are
>>> swallowed by a finally-clause and are not caught.
>>>
>>> For testing purposes I created a patch. It suppresses access to the
>>> metadata-fields, causing the problem. The patch does only apply for a
>>> Database of Dialect-Sybase.
>>>
>>> This patch actually does solve the problem within our environment.
>>> However, I suppose it might not be general enough as more modern
>>> versions of SQL Anywhere probably do not suffer that problem.
>>>
>>> I am wondering how to bring this issue forward. Should I add my
>>> patch-files within the Sourceforge Patches section additionally to the
>>> ones in the Bug-Section?
>>>
>>> Are there opinions or suggestions for a better, more general solution?
>>> I there are I would volunteer to implement it.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Thomas

Re: No Data in Contents Tab using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04

Thomas Lenarz
Hi Rob,

I apologize for the late answer.

I didn't know that the jdbc-odbc-bridge was experimental.
Now, I even found a note by Oracle that there would not be any support
for it in the future.

I did some tests with the JTds-Driver and the Open-Server-Gateway for
the old SQL-Anywhere Version 5.5. Unfortunately this works even worse
than the jdbc-odbc-bridge.

In the meantime our users of Sybase SQL-Anywhere decided to upgrade to a
current version. I am pretty sure there will be available a working Type
4 driver.

Therefore, I think the bug could be closed. However, I think it might be
a good idea to write some log-messages if there are Exceptions within
the metadata-accessing code. It might help to find out what is going on,
if a driver fails to deliver the data.

All the Best,
Thomas