Need help for a new database plugin development

Need help for a new database plugin development

Choong Hun Kim
Hello,

I am working for Altibase (www.altibase.com), a hybrid (in-memory & disk)
relational DBMS. My manager asked me to develop an Altibase plugin for
SQuirreL SQL as the first step to make Altibase more open source friendly
DBMS.

As I am a newbie to open source and SQuirreL SQL, I'd like to check three
issues before starting it.

1. Plugin development process
According to this mailing list, my guess for the plugin developement
process may be, 1. fork from master, 2. develop Altibase plugin, 3. pull
request for the plugin. Is it correct?

2. Use other DBMS's source code and images
Is it okay to borrow some images (icons) from other DBMS plugins? GPLv2
license says it may be okay, but I'd like to confirm it. I am clumsy at
graphic stuff :(

3. Regression test
Though I have browsed several SQuirreL API documents, I have not found any
clue for testing. Is there any automated (regression) test for DBMS plugin?

Any feedback will be very appreciated and many thinks in advance.

Best regards,

Choong Hun Kim

Re: Need help for a new database plugin development

Gerd Wagner-3

Am 19.06.2017 um 11:51 schrieb Choong Hun Kim:

> Hello,
>
> I am working for Altibase (www.altibase.com), a hybrid (in-memory & disk)
> relational DBMS. My manager asked me to develop an Altibase plugin for
> SQuirreL SQL as the first step to make Altibase more open source friendly
> DBMS.
>
> As I am a newbie to open source and SQuirreL SQL, I'd like to check three
> issues before starting it.
>
> 1. Plugin development process
> According to this mailing list, my guess for the plugin developement
> process may be, 1. fork from master, 2. develop Altibase plugin, 3. pull
> request for the plugin. Is it correct?
Yes, that's right.

> 2. Use other DBMS's source code and images
> Is it okay to borrow some images (icons) from other DBMS plugins? GPLv2
> license says it may be okay, but I'd like to confirm it. I am clumsy at
> graphic stuff :(
That's OK.

> 3. Regression test
> Though I have browsed several SQuirreL API documents, I have not found any
> clue for testing. Is there any automated (regression) test for DBMS plugin?
There was once. But they got lost some time ago.

Re: Need help for a new database plugin development

Choong Hun Kim
Thanks a lot :)

Bests,

Choong Hun Kim