Multiple SQL statement results in one list, not tabbed

Multiple SQL statement results in one list, not tabbed

Senko, Daniel

Greetings.  First time poster.

I hope this is an “that’s easy dude … “

I want to run a series of consecutive SQL Select statements and dump all the results into one window rather than have each SQL statement result in a separate tab.   Moreover, the tabs are not named so I don’t know what tab relates to what SQL statement when I have many SQL statements.

Think of a use case where a customer has data relationally organized in tables with a common key such a customer number.   Running multiple simple SQL statements against each table (to gather a quick glance of the scope of the customer data) is preferable to joining all the tables in one statement.  As needs dictate, add/remove some of the individual SQL statements.

Yes, I did try to find the answer first but failed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan Senko

Re: Multiple SQL statement results in one list, not tabbed

John Hardin
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016, Senko, Daniel wrote:

> I want to run a series of consecutive SQL Select statements and dump all
> the results into one window rather than have each SQL statement result
> in a separate tab.

As you get in the SQL Server Management Studio query window?

Sorry, Squirrel has a different UI design philosophy, one result set per
tab.

> Moreover, the tabs are not named so I don't know what tab relates to
> what SQL statement when I have many SQL statements.

There's a feature request for something like named tabs - go vote for it.
:)

The tabs are created in the order they are executed and it's pretty clear
up until the second row of tabs gets created. Each tab does shoe the query
it executed. I don't have access to Squirrel right at the moment so I
don't recall exactly how it's labeled on the tab, but each tab has the
result grid, a metadata grid with details about the result set columns,
and the query executed and time it took.

> Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think about the only answer that can be given is "that would be a major
design change."

You could select an explicit static identifying string as the first column
of each of the various queries, that would make it easier for the user to
identify the data in the result set.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]