Quantcast

In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

VerweijT
Hi there,

Ctrl-Slash - toggle comment on a line    --- is no more!

Am I the only one experiencing this shortcut I'm very fond off, to be broken?
Just checked, works fine until 3.6 but in 3.7 it's not anymore.
And the sad part is, I can't seem to find a decent complete list of all shortcuts, including this one, online! As a long time user I must have picked this one up somehow?
I'm confused ;-)

cheers
Tom

Re: In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

Gerd Wagner-3

Am 21.09.2015 um 00:47 schrieb Tom Verweij:
> Hi there,
>
> Ctrl-Slash - toggle comment on a line    --- is no more!

I'm pretty sure the short key for comment has not changed. It is
ctrl - Num-block substract.

And ctrl- shift - Num-block substract to uncomment.

> Am I the only one experiencing this shortcut I'm very fond off, to be
> broken?
> Just checked, works fine until 3.6 but in 3.7 it's not anymore.
> And the sad part is, I can't seem to find a decent complete list of all
> shortcuts, including this one, online! As a long time user I must have
> picked this one up somehow?
> I'm confused ;-)

Many of the short cuts can be found in the tools popup and right mouse
menu of the SQL editor. Other can be picked from the menus.

On a lower level you can look at the properties files that are included
in your installation and can be found in our Git repository. For
SQuirreL's core the URL is
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/core/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/client/resources/squirrel.properties

E.g. for the Syntax plugin the properties file is
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/plugins/syntax/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/syntax/SyntaxPluginResources.properties

It is technically possible to even change shortcuts by extracting
properties files from Jars editing and repacking them. Care should be
taken doing this. It is error prone and may lead to conflicting shortcuts.

Hope this helps

Fwd: In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

VerweijT
Hi Gerd!

Thx for your reply and many thx for your work on Squirrel.
I've tried some of the things you wrote but still no luck getting my favourite shortcut CTRL SLASH going again.
Obviously it's not the biggest thing but it something seems odd and I want to learn more about Java anyway.

So here's my symptom and what I've tried sofar. I would really appreciate it if you gave it a closer look.

Symptom:
(this is seen on a Lenovo T440P Thinkpad but also on other laptops)
When running the 3.7 squirrel-sql.jar and plugin jars simulaneously with the 3.6 ones against exactly the same .squirrel home (so all prefs / drivers / aliases are identical) the following behaviour can be seen:
- when editing in the 3.7   one CANNOT toggle commenting a single line using CTRL SLASH (not from numpad, but the one below "QUESTIONMARK")
- in 3.6 one CAN

What I tried:
Changing the SyntaxPluginResources.properties in the syntax.jar to
menuitem.net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.plugins.syntax.CommentAction.accelerator=control SLASH    (also tried control /)
#menuitem.net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.plugins.syntax.CommentAction.accelerator=control SUBTRACT

I'm wondering if this CommentAction isn't a different one because it comments a complete block instead of a single line, to my understanding.

What puzzles me is that I can't find the ONE LINE comment/uncomment functionality in the menu, nor the Ctrl-T popuplist. But I somehow found it and got very used to it (as you may imagine).

Could I help myself to it again? E.g. I noticed below sentence in the above mentioned properties file:
# Ugly but true: the accelerators are duplicated in SQLSettingsInitializer.squirrelKeyBindings

Could you give me a clear straightforward tip on this?

Thanks a bundle!

Tom

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Gerd Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Fwd: In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

Gerd Wagner-3
Sorry Tom,

I have to admit that after some time of trying I couldn't get ctrl slash
to work either. It would probably require a closer look at RSyntax.

Since I can't find any trace in our Git repository that CTRL SLASH has
ever been the short cut for comment but ever was CTRL SUBSTRACT I don't
consider it a bug.

Gerd

Am 25.09.2015 um 13:27 schrieb Tom Verweij:

> [...]
>

>     Many of the short cuts can be found in the tools popup and right
>     mouse menu of the SQL editor. Other can be picked from the menus.
>

>     On a lower level you can look at the properties files that are
>     included in your installation and can be found in our Git
>     repository. For SQuirreL's core the URL is
>     http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/core/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/client/resources/squirrel.properties
>
>     E.g. for the Syntax plugin the properties file is
>     http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/plugins/syntax/src/net/sourceforge/squirrel_sql/plugins/syntax/SyntaxPluginResources.properties
>
>     It is technically possible to even change shortcuts by extracting
>     properties files from Jars editing and repacking them. Care should
>     be taken doing this. It is error prone and may lead to conflicting

Fwd: Fwd: In 3.7 Ctrl-/ (shortcut to line uncomment) is broken

VerweijT