ISAM Files

Stefan Grewe-3
Hi,

I'm currently using Squirrel with various MySQL, MS-SQL and Oracle Database.
Now I got some ISAM files including copybook.I'm not quite sure what
type of ISAM this is but application that produces the data uses a
driver from transsoft.

Is there support for that type of files in Squirrel? I've seen that
there is support for HXTT drivers but ist there an, preferably open
source, alternative?

Thanks a lot

Stefan

Re: ISAM Files

John Hardin
On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Stefan Grewe wrote:

> I'm currently using Squirrel with various MySQL, MS-SQL and Oracle Database.
> Now I got some ISAM files including copybook.I'm not quite sure what
> type of ISAM this is but application that produces the data uses a
> driver from transsoft.

Have you tried looking at the JDBC drivers available on the transsoft
website?

> Is there support for that type of files in Squirrel? I've seen that
> there is support for HXTT drivers but ist there an, preferably open
> source, alternative?

Can't really know without knowing what flavor of ISAM is in use.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]

Re: ISAM Files

Stefan Grewe-3
Am 01.03.2014 23:26, schrieb John Hardin:

Thanks for your reply.
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Stefan Grewe wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using Squirrel with various MySQL, MS-SQL and Oracle Database.
>> Now I got some ISAM files including copybook.I'm not quite sure what
>> type of ISAM this is but application that produces the data uses a
>> driver from transsoft.
> Have you tried looking at the JDBC drivers available on the transsoft
> website?
On the website I only can find some general comments but everything else
requires a registration :-(
>> Is there support for that type of files in Squirrel? I've seen that
>> there is support for HXTT drivers but ist there an, preferably open
>> source, alternative?
> Can't really know without knowing what flavor of ISAM is in use.

Did some research. Could C-ISAM Microfocus be an answer to that
question? :-)
I´m not a programmer and at the moment quite lost i the COBOL world.

I want / have to query information out of these files.  I do not want to
change anything.

Thanks for your time

Stefan

Re: ISAM Files

John Hardin
On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, Stefan Grewe wrote:

> Am 01.03.2014 23:26, schrieb John Hardin:
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>> On Sat, 1 Mar 2014, Stefan Grewe wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently using Squirrel with various MySQL, MS-SQL and Oracle Database.
>>> Now I got some ISAM files including copybook.I'm not quite sure what
>>> type of ISAM this is but application that produces the data uses a
>>> driver from transsoft.
>>
>> Have you tried looking at the JDBC drivers available on the transsoft
>> website?
>
> On the website I only can find some general comments but everything else
> requires a registration :-(

Bummer. However, registration does not necessarily mean giving them money.

>>> Is there support for that type of files in Squirrel? I've seen that
>>> there is support for HXTT drivers but ist there an, preferably open
>>> source, alternative?
>>
>> Can't really know without knowing what flavor of ISAM is in use.
>
> Did some research. Could C-ISAM Microfocus be an answer to that
> question? :-)

:) Possibly, but I have no idea for sure. As transsoft appears to be in
the business of providing access to legacy Cobol and ISAM data, that might
very well be it.

I suggest you try to get in touch with the developers of the application
in question and see if they can tell you which type of ISAM their
application is using. If they say "whatever transsoft defaults to" then
you'd have to ask transsoft.

Absent information from the application developer and transsoft, the most
I can suggest is trial and error - try to get as many different flavors of
ISAM JDBC drivers as you can, and try them, and see if you can find one
that works. Make sure you're doing this against copies of the files, not
the production database!

If you can download a copy of the Microfocus C-ISAM JDBC driver, even a
trial version, they try it out. That might let you determine whether
that's the ISAM format the database uses. Then you can focus your search
on whether there's a free JDBC driver for that ISAM format.

> I want / have to query information out of these files.  I do not want to
> change anything.

That simplifies things a bit.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]
  key: 0xB8732E79 -- 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
   Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
   an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
  6 days until Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Re: ISAM Files

Stefan Grewe-3

>> On the website I only can find some general comments but everything
>else
>> requires a registration :-(
>
>Bummer. However, registration does not necessarily mean giving them
>money.

Your probably right. :)

I'm using a workaround right now. I was a bit naive about accessing ISAM files.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Stefan