Expand Columns to Maximum

MandolinPlayer
Greetings all -

I was wondering if there is a way, or if we could put in a feature request to make it so "Adjust all column widths" and "Always adjust all column widths"  will act as it does... i.e. shrinking down when the data is small, and expanding when the data is large, but set a maximum width.

So it will go to the Max of the data size or the "default max", which ever is smaller.

The reason is, I have some data columns that are huge, and I don't need to see the WHOLE column, but say the first 500 characters would be enough for 99% of cases.

Thoughts?

John

Re: Expand Columns to Maximum

John Hardin
On Mon, 3 Nov 2014, MandolinPlayer wrote:

> Greetings all -
>
> I was wondering if there is a way, or if we could put in a feature request
> to make it so "Adjust all column widths" and "Always adjust all column
> widths"  will act as it does... i.e. shrinking down when the data is small,
> and expanding when the data is large, but set a maximum width.
>
> So it will go to the Max of the data size or the "default max", which ever
> is smaller.
>
> The reason is, I have some data columns that are huge, and I don't need to
> see the WHOLE column, but say the first 500 characters would be enough for
> 99% of cases.

+1

varchar(max) columns are a PITA in Squirrel.

Submit a feature request in the SourceForge bugzilla for Squirrel.

--
  John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
  [hidden email]    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a [hidden email]

Am 03.11.2014 um 14:41 schrieb MandolinPlayer:

> Greetings all -
>
> I was wondering if there is a way, or if we could put in a feature
> request to make it so "Adjust all column widths" and "Always adjust all
> column widths"  will act as it does... i.e. shrinking down when the data
> is small, and expanding when the data is large, but set a maximum width.
>
> So it will go to the Max of the data size or the "default max", which
> ever is smaller.
>
> The reason is, I have some data columns that are huge, and I don't need
> to see the WHOLE column, but say the first 500 characters would be
> enough for 99% of cases.

This feature has just been released with a new snapshot. See:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squirrel-sql/files/3-snapshots/snapshot-20141108_2236/

For details see
http://sourceforge.net/p/squirrel-sql/git/ci/master/tree/sql12/core/doc/changes.txt