Double-Click on table in objects view

Michael Schmid
Hello,

a double-click on a table in the Objects view does nothing. I'd expect
it to display the first [X] rows in the table. When i try to drag the
table from the Objects view to the "Info" tab, a plus sign appears, but
on release nothing happens. So my question is: is it possible to display
the contents of a table directly from the Objects view? Right now I have
to resort to a manual "SELECT * FROM table" in the SQL view, which is a
bit cumbersome. Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards, Michael

Re: Double-Click on table in objects view

Alexandre Peshansky
Huh?
Don't you see "Content" tab right next to "Info" tab?
--
Alexandre Peshansky, MS
Senior Bioinformatics Analyst, Research Informatics Core (RIC)

a double-click on a table in the Objects view does nothing. I'd expect it to display the first [X] rows in the table. When i try to drag the table from the Objects view to the "Info" tab, a plus sign appears, but on release nothing happens. So my question is: is it possible to display the contents of a table directly from the Objects view? Right now I have to resort to a manual "SELECT * FROM table" in the SQL view, which is a bit cumbersome. Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards, Michael

Re: Double-Click on table in objects view

Michael Schmid
Hi,

thanks for your reply! As it turns out I do not have a "Content" tab, I just see "Info".  When I activate the "Add/remove where and order by clauses for Contents tab SQL statement" (CTRL SHIFT F) I get a log message stating the following:

"You must have a single table or view selected to activate the SQL Filter"

I have a single table selected, and the database user has full access rights (I can select from the "SQL" tab). I run SquirrelSQL under Linux, the database in question is a local Postgres 9.2 instance. Is there any way to make the "Content" tab appear?

Regards, Michael

a double-click on a table in the Objects view does nothing. I'd expect it to display the first [X] rows in the table. When i try to drag the table from the Objects view to the "Info" tab, a plus sign appears, but on release nothing happens. So my question is: is it possible to display the contents of a table directly from the Objects view? Right now I have to resort to a manual "SELECT * FROM table" in the SQL view, which is a bit cumbersome. Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards, Michael

Software Development eHealth Solutions
ITH icoserve company - H CX HS INT CES ITH

Tel: +43 (512) 89059-438
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Double-Click on table in objects view

Alexandre Peshansky
What database are you using?  In all databases I used SQuirreL with (Sybase, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL) I see multiple tabs in "Objects" view. For instance, with Sybase when no object is selected (alias is selected), I see "Metadata", "Status", "Catalogs", "Schemas", etc. (12 tabs total).  When a table is selected, I see  "Info", "Content", "Row Count", "Columns", etc. (12 tabs total).  For View there is an extra "Source" tab. For Procedure - only "Info" and "Columns".
Unless you are using some exotic database, I would carefully examine logs for Java errors, and maybe reinstall SQuirreL.
--
Alexandre Peshansky, MS
Senior Bioinformatics Analyst, Research Informatics Core (RIC)
Harold & Muriel Block Institute for Clinical & Translational Research at Einstein and Montefiore
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Ave, Block Bldg., Rm 534 Bronx, NY 10461
(718) 430-2440, (914) 457-6792 (office) (347) 886-2380 (cell)

Re: Double-Click on table in objects view

Michael Schmid
Ok,

right now I'm feeling really dumb ;-) The problem was i listed the tables under the "UDT" (I guess this stands for user-defined tables) node. If i list the tables under the "table" node I have all the tabs you mentioned, and I can view the "Content" tab as expected. Thanks for your help!

Regards, Michael

Re: Double-Click on table in objects view

Alexandre Peshansky
No worries.
After all, the most optimistic statement possible is "how dumb I was" ;-)

From: Michael Schmid [mailto:[hidden email]]

Ok,

Huh?