DB2 z/OS plugin ?

Cristiano Guadagnino
Hi all,
I am new to this list.

I have been using SquirrelSQL professionally for a few months now (I
am a DB Administrator in a medium-scale financial institution). I am
enjoying Squirrel very much, and have to say that Squirrel compares
favorably with a lot of closed-source, commercial analogous softwares.

I should also mention that I am using Squirrel mostly to work on DB2
8.1 for z/OS and DB2 9 for LUW.

I am interested in expanding the support for DB2 on z/OS in SquirrelSQL.
Is anybody undertaking the same job already? Would you be interested
in having something like this implemented?
Should I extend the already existing DB2 plugin, or should I start from scratch?

I have to say that my java skills are deep buried in the sands of
time, so I don't really know if or when I'll be able to finish the
task (my work is also absorbing a lot of my time), but I'd like to
try.

Bye
Cris

Re: DB2 z/OS plugin ?

Robert Manning
On Jan 28, 2008 7:25 AM, Cristiano Guadagnino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am new to this list.
>
> I have been using SquirrelSQL professionally for a few months now (I
> am a DB Administrator in a medium-scale financial institution). I am
> enjoying Squirrel very much, and have to say that Squirrel compares
> favorably with a lot of closed-source, commercial analogous softwares.
>
> I should also mention that I am using Squirrel mostly to work on DB2
> 8.1 for z/OS and DB2 9 for LUW.
>
> I am interested in expanding the support for DB2 on z/OS in SquirrelSQL.
> Is anybody undertaking the same job already? Would you be interested
> in having something like this implemented?
> Should I extend the already existing DB2 plugin, or should I start from scratch?
>
> I have to say that my java skills are deep buried in the sands of
> time, so I don't really know if or when I'll be able to finish the
> task (my work is also absorbing a lot of my time), but I'd like to
> try.

Cris,

Welcome aboard!  To my knowledge no one is currently working on
expanding the DB2 plugin to work correctly on z/OS.  I wrote the
plugin originally for LUW, and expanded it with help from others to
work correctly on OS400.  I would do the work myself if I had access
to that platform.  However, I don't and I do not anticipate having
access anytime soon.  I would welcome any enhancements you could
contribute in any timeframe that you find convenient.  There are
plenty of other items that have my attention for the next few
releases, and I don't anticipate any substantial changes to the DB2
plugin during that time.  Also, I would recommend adding to the
existing plugin, rather than create a new one - less code duplication
and perhaps fewer opportunites for users to pick the wrong plugin :)
Let us know if you run into any difficulties.