Quantcast

Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Steve Carry
I am trying to install the current version of SQuirreL on a Windows 10 machine.  I've downloaded the executable squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224-standard.jar file.  When I execute it, I was prompted to Select The Installation Path:.  The default value is C:\Program files (x86)\squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224

When I try to accept this default by clicking the Next button, I get an error message that says, The directory cannot be written!  Please choose another directory!

There is a response on Squirrel-SQL-Users that says to create the C:\Program files (x86)\squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224 directory manually in MS Explorer.  However, even after I did that, I get the same error message.

What do I need to do differently?

S Cary

Re: Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Stefan Grewe-3
Steve,

have you tried using right mouse button -> run as administrator?
Usually you are not permitted to write to "Program files (x86" as a
regular windows user.

Cheers

Stefan

Am Dienstag, den 09.05.2017, 18:39 +0000 schrieb Steve Carry:

> I am trying to install the current version of SQuirreL on a Windows
> 10 machine.  I've downloaded the executable squirrel-sql-snapshot-
> 20170430_2224-standard.jar file.  When I execute it, I was prompted
> to Select The Installation Path:.  The default value is C:\Program
> files (x86)\squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224
>
> When I try to accept this default by clicking the Next button, I get
> an error message that says, The directory cannot be written!  Please
> choose another directory!
>
> There is a response on Squirrel-SQL-Users that says to create
> the C:\Program files (x86)\squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224
> directory manually in MS Explorer.  However, even after I did that, I
> get the same error message.
>
> What do I need to do differently?
>
> S Cary

Stefan Grewe

Re: Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Alexandre Peshansky

Just install SQuirreL into different directory.

Microsoft idea of security is to create extra hurdles for users; you can use a subdirectory of “C:\Program Files (x86)”, but it will require custom rights, and I’m not sure it is worth the effort.

--

Alexandre Peshansky, MS

Lead Bioinformatics Analyst, Research Informatics Core (RIC)

Harold & Muriel Block Institute for Clinical & Translational Research at Einstein and Montefiore

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

1300 Morris Park Ave, Block Bldg., Rm 534 Bronx, NY 10461

(718) 430-2440, (914) 457-6792 (office) (201) 970-3530 (cell) – NEW!!!

Re: Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Wesley Newswanger

Hold shift and right-click on the installer file in explorer and select ‘Copy as path’

Click on Start Menu and type CMD, right click on ‘Command Prompt’ and select ‘Run as administrator’

Paste copied path to jar installer file at command prompt and click enter.

In my case it looks like this C:\WINDOWS\System32>"C:\Users\wesleyn.MWP\Downloads\squirrel-sql-snapshot-20170430_2224-standard.jar"

Best Regards,

Wesley S. Newswanger    IT & Database Administrator

Keystone Collections

Re: Choosing/creating an Installation Path for SQuirreL in Windows 10

Laffrey Lynne Marie (FCA)

I just did this today.  You just need to log in with your admin account  or run the command prompt with admin rights.  You will then be able to install Squirrel to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Squirrel” directory.  I successfully installed Squirrel and tested it in Windows 10.

Sincerely,

Lynne Marie Laffrey

Data Engineer

Business Analytics – ICT